Friday, August 5, 2011

A Typical Saturday

I love reading how other artists spend their time throughout the day, so I thought that I would write about what my typical Saturday is like! I really like the weekends (who doesn't really). It's my most concentrated amount of time to get things done on my artwork. I try to structure my days around my husband's work schedule. I like to take time off when he's home and I work, work, work while he is at work. Lately he has been working a lot of weekends, so I have been coming up with a schedule that works well for me!

I usually wake up around 6:00 every day if not earlier. My cats don't allow me to sleep in longer than that, and I usually can't sleep past that time anyway.




After I wake up, I check my emails first thing. I respond to any orders that I received overnight by sending out a thank you email and informing my customer that I am working on their order and that it will ship shortly. I always like to be acknowledged when I order something, so I try to do the same.

Next, if I received any Printable orders, I make sure to send those out straight away. I sell Printable Coloring Pages and Printable Digital Collage Sheets. I have to manually email these files to anyone who purchases them. I like to send them out straight away so that no one has to wait too long for the file.




After that I usually browse Facebook for awhile. I like to see what everyone's up to and comment on any interesting posts. I also try and respond to anyone on Facebook who wrote me directly and reply to any other emails I got art related that were not specifically orders.

By this time, my husband is usually up. If he's not up, I start packing up any orders that I received. I typically don't ship on Saturdays so If I only get some orders done, I will finish the rest on Sunday to ship out on Monday.



Once my husband is up, I enjoy the morning with him! I put my art aside and focus on spending time with him before he goes to work. We usually have breakfast, play some computer games and might watch a show or two on Netflix.



After my husband goes to work, I take a quick nap. Ok, sometimes they are not quick, but I am the type of person that NEEDS 8 hours of sleep. I just can't function without it. Since I wake up at 6 and usually don't go to sleep until 11 or 12, I need that hour or so nap to catch up!

After I wake up, I start on my artwork. On the weekends, I have my largest chunk of time, so I save my painting and sketching for the weekends. I work on products, web updates, various licensing duties and things of that nature on the weekdays when I have less time.

It's great that I'm able to sit down and work on a painting for 8+ hours at one time. I think most artists do their best work when they work for long uninterrupted periods of time. I'm able to really focus and create some awesome work this way!



When my husband gets home, I pack up my art and clean up my mess. Then we usually watch a couple episodes of King of the Hill (LOVE that show) and finally turn in around 11 or 12.



And that's my day! What's your typical Saturday like?

1 comment:

  1. OMG, cats, i love cats, i have a tortie like yours :-)) I had a black and white cat too, a superb cat !
    Love your blog !
    Have a nice week-end !
    xxx

    ReplyDelete