Friday, April 13, 2012

Naming Contest - Fire Witch Sketch and Phoenix Familiar!

I have a new sketch to share with all of you! This is the other painting that I will be working on alongside my mermaid painting. This is a commissioned piece for a customer who wanted me to paint a "Fire Witch" along with her phoenix familiar. We will eventually be doing the rest of the elements earth, air and water as well! Each one will have a similar look/feel with the gothic archway in the background with carvings to represent each element.

This was such a fun piece to sketch! I had a lot of fun choosing a pose that was strong, yet sexy. I enjoyed designing her outfit and most of all drawing the phoenix! I have never drawn a phoenix before, so I really loved doing that.

You'll have to use your imagination some on the background lol. It's a bit rough at this point. I will do a lot of the corrections (make circles actual circles, make the lines straight, make everything symmetrical, etc...) in Photoshop when I create the final line work. Some of the carvings will also be duplicated so that there won't be blank areas above.


Naming Contest Instructions


And now, she needs a name! And so does her phoenix familiar. This piece's name will take the form of "Fire Witch Name" & "Phoenix Familiar Name." So for instance, Freya and Sparks. Feel free to submit as many names as you'd like. There may be up to two winners for this contest. I may choose both names from the same person or I may mix and match and choose the fire witch's name from one person and the phoenix's name from another person. In that case, there would be two winners!

The person or people that choose the names I pick will win a 5x7" of the finished piece. I have allowed anonymous posts on my blog, so you can post even if you don't have an account.

Please post your name suggestions along with your email address so that I can easily contact you in case you win. The contest is open to everyone around the world and even past winners can participate!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! =)



EDIT: I revised the sketch a bit, so you may notice a different version. =) I added her feet in and adjusted the position of the phoenix wings. You'll have to use your imagination a bit on the sketch. I had to piece it together, but everything will get filled in and finalized when I create the linework. The little lines at the bottom denote where the ground will start. Hope you like the changes! =)

9 comments:

  1. Ok. i need to get my 50 cents in here. You are going for a fire theme and what is better then the sun. Chroma (chromashpere) for the witch and Corona for her firey friend. The corona of the sun is the flamey part that comes off the surface of the sun, much as her firey friend in flight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Azar, meaning fire for the witch and Anastasia, meaning resurrection for the Phoenix.

    - dancingqueen120590@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aine - Irish Goddess meaning the 'spark of life' for the phoenix. Since phoenixes are reborn from their own ashes, I thought that was fitting.

    For the name of the witch, there was a witch in one of my favorite books that was name Marwen, and I think its a very strong witchy name. Although it has not meaning towards fire, it was the name that hit me when I looked at her. Regal, beautiful, strong, and seeming to 'emit' magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ceara is an Ancient Irish name which means fiery red and for the phoenix Laisrén which means flame

    - louisamay@novuscom.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Féinics - gaelic for phoenix and for the witch - HADYN: Welsh form of Gaelic Áedán, meaning "little fire."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Necia for the Witch which is Latin for "Fiery, passionate"
    Keahi for the phoenix which is Hawaiian for "Flames, fire"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tana. It means "fire goddess." And fiero for the pheonix. It means fire. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the witch, Cidra, Brynn and Sadie seem like kind of fiery names to me. One site that I found said that Nina is a Native American (Quechua) word meaning fire. Serafina or Seraphine means "burning one", and McKenna has some Scottish associations of being "born of Fire, so maybe a variation like McKenzie or Mackenzie. Phoenix names are harder - Firenze comes to mind, although that's actually the Italian name for the city of Florence, but it's still pretty. Maybe Felix or something wise-sounding like Virgil. - Heather Savino

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, that h_savino@hotmail.com - Heather

    ReplyDelete